Common cold is a sickness that affects each and every person in this world. And the name common is rightly given, because it is so common. This is a viral infection and highly contagious. If it is a severe viral infection, and not treated, it can even lead to influenza and sinus, though a common cold usually isn’t severe and goes away in its due course of time.
Common Cold Symptoms
Nevertheless, let’s have a look at the symptoms of a common cold, to get a better understanding of this common infection. The most common and earliest symptom is a runny nose, and the affected individual will be sniffing all day. Then he will experience nasal congestion, which will make breathing somewhat troublesome. A headache, cough, sneezing, along with a sore throat is a very common occurrence. He may also experience a sinus swelling, a loss of appetite, tiredness, muscle aches, and lastly fever. Fever is the body’s immune system’s response to an attack by the virus.
Common Cold Remedies
- When suffering from a cold, always keep yourself properly hydrated. Besides drinking a lot of water, you should drink hot liquids, and if possible any herbal tea. Besides giving some relief, all these will prevent the inside cold from getting thick and difficult to come out.
- Steam is a great reliever of the various common cold symptoms. The best way is to go in for steam therapy by inhaling steam. Also a hot steam bath will do wonders.
- Turmeric is another awesome remedy for a common cold. Simply mix ½ a teaspoon of turmeric powder with 3 tablespoons of warm milk. Have this potion 3 times a day and see the results.
- Eucalyptus oil is another terrific soother of a cold. Just on the chest, nose and forehead. The relief will be there to see.
- For those with a fever, apply a clean cloth dipped in hot water on the forehead. This will not only bring down the fever, but also help in thinning the mucus, which will get drained out more easily than otherwise.
- Wearing warm clothes is another must while suffering from a common cold. It helps keep the fever in check, if any, and also facilitates the break up of mucus congestion.
- Try and have some chicken soup, which will do a lot of good. This fights off the infection, prevents the cold from hardening, and gives strength and much needed proteins to the body
- Consumption of ginger root and garlic too is very beneficial as one of the common cold remedies.
- Lastly, just before retiring for the day, take 2 lemons, and mix their juice with one small cup of water. Add a teaspoon of honey to this and drink this, and then go off to sleep. It will give some relief from the congestion.
A point to note is that, till now man has not found a cure for common cold. All the remedies and medications prescribed by a doctor are simply for relieving the symptoms to some extent. The cold will go away in its own sweet time, depending on its severity. And since it is a contagious infection, make sure you use separate things at home, and do not share stuff with family members. Last word of caution. If you are suffering from any other disease, please consult your doctor before using any of these common cold home remedies.