The SPAdminv4 service fails to start on a server running Windows Server 2008 after you have installed a SharePoint 2010 cummulative patch or are in the process of building a new server farm. This could be a problem on the Web Front End or the Application Server.
The fix is to add a new registry setting.
1. Click Run and enter ‘Regedit’;
2. In the Registry Window, navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control’;
3. Right click and create a new DWORD Value option;
4. Replace ‘New Value #1’ with ‘ServicesPipeTimeout’;
5. Right click the new option and click Modify;
6. Enter 60000 as the value and exit the Registry.
7. Restart the server;
The SharePoint 2010 Administration service should now be running.Derek Halstead is a SharePoint consultant as well as the founder and principal of CertifiedSolutionsAustralia.com and CoolWriteups.com. He has 16 years of experience in the IT industry, with over ten years focused on Microsoft SharePoint. He can be reached by using the Contact Me link in the top menu.